Monday, November 7, 2011

Snow Canyon Half Marathon!

I ran my second half marathon last week! It was the Snow Canyon Half Marathon in St. George. I ran the Top of Utah half in August and I really was only planning on only doing one this year, but after I got done I really loved it! I though to myself, "I went through all of that work!" I didn't just want to blow it by being lazy all winter. I thought it would be fun to do one more before the weather gets too cold to run outside.
My sweet friend Breann that I've worked with and known for probably 4 or 5 years said she would run it with me. She is always so nice and willing to go along with any crazy idea that I have! Breann did all of her training on a treadmill, cause her husband is away at school, and she did it all in only 8 weeks! Marks mom and her sister also came with us and they have run at least 12 half marathons, so they are seasoned pros!
I didn't take any good pictures on this trip.  These are the best ones I got and they aren't even running ones!
 Kristen, Melanee (my mil), Breann
We stopped and ate at The Pizza Factory in Cedar City on our way down. 
Breann, me 
(Mark always laughs at me when I take pictures with my phone 
I don't look at the camera I look at the image, so I'm always looking the wrong way! Oh well!)

I was excited to go to St. George for the warm weather, but sadly the cold followed us down there! The race was so cold! I'm not even sure what the temperature was I think it was in the low 40's! Not my idea of perfect running weather, but at least we didn't get too sweaty! The race course was beautiful! It was mostly downhill, so that is always nice! I beat my previous time by two minutes! I was worried I'd do worse cause I wasn't able to train as well the second time around. I kept skipping runs, and at one point I wasn't even sure if I'd be able to run the whole thing again. It took me 1 hour 51 minutes and I was 29th in my age group, so not to shabby! My plan now for the winter is to keep running, but nothing more than 5 miles for awhile!
It's funny though it wasn't that long ago that running 5 miles seemed impossible! Now 5 miles doesn't seem that bad!

1 comment:

The Zaugg family said...

it is funny that running 5 miles seemed like crazy to even think to run but now its not a big deal. You did great jena im so proud of you!! im a little mad that you put those ugly pictures of us on there. It was fun going to st george with ya.