Sunday, May 22, 2011

My 5K. . . and Mother's Day!

I ran the 5K at the Ogden Marathon yesterday! It was lots of fun! I started training for it about 8 weeks ago. It was my first time running a 5K. I have been telling Mark for years how I want to run, and I want to run a half marathon, but I've just never had the time to train for it. I finally decided I needed to start with the 5K and get that done with then I could try the half.
At first I figured if I could do it in under 30 minutes I'd be happy. When I started training I didn't really time myself, but I figured I was running about a 10-minute mile. Then about two weeks ago I downloaded an app on my phone that tracks where you run and your pace. When I ran with that I realized I was actually running about an 8-minute mile!
The 5k stared by the Timbermine in Ogden then went down 18th street and then along Grant Ave. to the finishline! It was a beautiful day for running! My time was 25 minutes 30 seconds! About an 8:14 minute mile! I actually came in 3rd in my age group! (Although there were plenty of 10-year-olds that beat me! And I did cross the finish line about the same time as a pregnant lady. . .she was one fit pregnant lady though!)
Mark was so supportive! The night before my race he gave me a rose, some vitamin water, and a card! He was so sweet to stay home with the kids during all of the nights I left them to go run! It looks like they are going to have even more nights with me gone too because I already signed up to run the Top of Utah half marathon! So I'll be running a lot more then 3.1 miles!


Just thought I'd throw this picture of us on Mother's day in this post! I just wanted a pictures of me with my kidos on Mother's day but Baylee would only make her "silly" face (also don't mind her lady-like pose there). And Owen wouldn't let go of the chip clip!
I did have a wonderful mothers day though! Mark and Baylee made me breakfast in bed! They were so sweet! I love my little family!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Your family is so cute! That is a great time Jen!!! Good job! I want to be like you when I grow up!

Darcey said...

jena, that is AWESOME! omigosh, i haven't run an 8 min mile for years, so kudos to you!

good luck with your half! scott and i ran our first half marathon at Disney in January. It nearly killed me, but we finished! here's a site with a training schedule that SAVED me: http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm

you'll do great!