Thursday, May 13, 2010

Baby Owen!

He's here! Owen Mark Berger was born May 12th 2010 at 8:18 p.m. He was delivered via c section after a 12 plus hour labor. His cord was wrapped around his neck and my doctor really tried to get him out without surgery but Owen's heart rate was dropping and it was causing him a lot of stress. So they rushed us in for an emergency c section. Owen weighed 6lbs 15oz and is 20 1/2 inches long!
The good thing was I was already somewhat prepared for the idea of having a c section because Owen kept switching from breech to head down! When labor started taking so long and right from the beginning the nurse was really worried about his cord getting pinched I had a pretty good idea that it would end in a c section.

Poor Mark probably had it worse that I did during the c section. I was knocked out and didn't have any idea what was going on, but he saw the whole thing. He said when they pulled Owen out he couldn't tell if he was still alive. Scary! They hurried and whisked Owen away and soon Mark heard him cry so he knew he was alright! When I woke up I asked Mark a couple of times if he'd been born yet because I couldn't remember the answer.


This is after my c section I hadn't even seen the baby yet! They cleaned him up and took him to the newborn intensive care unit! He's still there now but I go down every few hours to nurse him! He's doing really well they just want to monitor his heart rate because it's a little low. But other than that everything else is good!
This is me during labor. My epidural wore off once and I was really grumpy but after they gave me another dose I was much happier.

Owen's big sister Baylee has a little cold this week so she has not been able to come see him yet. Thanks Grandma for taking such good care of her! We love you and really appreciate it!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Hi Jen! Your blog is so cute--thanks for inviting me!
What a perfect little baby you have! I'm so glad to hear everything is ok. Scary to have him in the NICU.
Baylee is so cute..hope to see you guys in a few weeks.
Congrats!!

Heidi said...

congratulations! He is so cute! I hope he gets out of the NICU soon and that you have a good recovery from your c section, rest up!