Tuesday, May 5, 2009

My poor hand!



Sometimes my good ideas turn into bad ones. . . yesterday I thought it would be a good idea to make dinner for marks brother Marshall and invite some of their friends over. Marshall was visiting from arizona, but it he ended up being sick and having his appendix removed! So while that was going on I decided I'd make dinner anyways. I was making lettuce wraps and I had to fry theses bean threads. Mark took Baylee outside cause I was cooking with hot oil.

I guess I had the oil too hot cause the second I put the bean threads in they turned black and started smoking! I hurried and opened the windows and turned the fan on but my whole kitchen was filling up with smoke and I couldn't breath. I grabbed the pot (with hot pads) and I turned on the sink and while I was doing this I thought this is not a good idea, but i was trying to stop the smoke. Anyways when I stuck the pot in the water it made the oil spill over and it got all over my left wrist. I stuck the pot on the counter but it was still smoking so I graped the fire extinguisher and sprayed it.

Then I decided I should go get mark, so I ran outside and yelled, "Honey, I'm burning down our kitchen!" By this time my hand had started to hurt, so once Mark went inside and made sure there wasn't a fire he took me to instacare and I got it all wrapped up. (While I was at instacare the lady checking me in said, "was your husband here earlier?" cause she'd seen Marshall and they are twins.)

I soaked my hand in ice water at the hospital and that felt good. But after the Doctor wrapped it up it hurt so bad! But he gave me pain meds so once I took those it was much better!

I went back to the doctor tonight and he rewrapped my hand. I have a second degree burn. My wrist had a big blister! It was so sick! I just have to keep my hand wrapped until it gets better! I'm hoping it will be better by next week!

Mark stayed home from work today to help me cause I can't really take care of baylee one handed! At least I'll get a little break from diapers! We got our kitchen all cleaned up but my counter has a burned spot because I stuck the hot pot on it!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

ouch jeN!!! that looks so painful! at least it was just your hand!

KFinley said...

Jena! I am so sorry! I hope your hand feels better and that you get lots of good-feeling drugs!

Stephanie said...

EW! That looks so painful, and so gross!! I am SO sorry for you!! If you need help with anything, let me know!

The Zaugg family said...

wow, jena! thats crazy!Im glad it wasn't worse. your arm looks like it hurts. Im sorry

Andrew & Carlene Wood said...

Jena Jena Jena....You are so lucky, that looks like it hurts!! I am glad your house didn;t burn down too.

JenBerger said...

Yeah for real! I'm just glad it wasn't my face! It feels way better now but still looks sick! I hope it doesn't scar!